[Bell Historians] RE: Multiple Ringers

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at h...
Sat Mar 20 07:18:09 GMT 2004

---

When I was in my teens and used to ring at Liverpool Cathedral with
Joe Ridyard as ringing master, many of 'the good and the great'
came 'unstuck' after being given permission to ring the tenor
unaided. Some let the bell fall when the other bells were not held
when the bells were pulled off. They were then unable to get the bell
back up when the front eleven slowed up. This situation then
attracted the not unfamiliar cry, 'Graham, (Graham Austin) go and
rescue that ****** clown over there!' How the mighty were fallen.

I was present when Peter Border rang the bell to the Cambridge 12,
and there were two great examples of heavy bell ringing that day -
Peter on the tenor and John Anderson on the eleventh, the latter not
sharing much the subsequent admiration.