Bell tuning before tuning forks

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Fri Mar 26 13:29:01 GMT 2004

Does anyone know of reference material I could read explaining how
(UK) bellfounders tuned their bells before the introduction of the
tuning fork? I know about the Hemony bars, I have read Elphick, and
have consulted the various reading lists and bibliographies, but have
not yet found any detailed description of how tuning was done.

I am particularly interested to know what pitch references were used
and how the bells were compared against them.

Any help gratefully accepted.

Bill H