[Bell Historians] Re: Accoustics and tone

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Mon Mar 29 23:08:01 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Peter Kirby"
<peter.c.kirby at b...> wrote:
> RO>One of the good things about Seasalter is that they're, in the
words
> of George Pipe, a good 'gutsy' ring, with a bit of meat to them.
> Not wishing to offend anyone (so I probably will!), I'd far rather
> listen to the likes of Seasalter than the thin, insipid tones of
> Rochford, Lightcliffe or Newhey any day!
>
> - - -
>
> Seeing as you've offended my tower (Lightcliffe) I might as well
note
> Pateley Bridge (same weight) have not been mentioned.
>
> However, many people have compared Lightcliffe (Taylor) with those
of
> similar weight at nearby Denholme (WBF) (no longer ringable due to
> structural problems) and most have preferred the tone of the bells
at
> Lightcliffe to that of those at Denholme although I accept Denholme
were
> much easier to ring but certainly not easy on the ear as anyone who
rang
> a peal there will testify.
>
> Peter C Kirby

My apologies for any offence caused (as has already been said, it's
all a matter of personal taste), but I would have thought that the
fact Denholme were uneasy on the ear was more about the lack of
insulation between ringers and bells than quality of bell.

Denholme are in E, Lightcliffe Db - what is the difference in the
diameters of these two bells, their weights are almost the same?
Also, and I think more importantly to my argument about thinness of
sound, what is the difference in weight between the trebles of the
two rings? Or did Taylors not disclose the weights of the trebles,
as was their habit in those days?