[Bell Historians] Light rings (was 4-cwt eights)

David Bryant david at b...
Tue Mar 30 20:13:22 BST 2004

> It could well be that the tenors have been 'tucked up' to much in
> order to make them easier to ring - as Mark Regan says, they may be
> easy to ring, but very difficult to strike. It would be interesting
> to do some comparative experiments.

I find that many such bells pendulum beautifully on their own, but have to
be really driven in when being rung with the others, making them hard work.
A good recent examples is the tenor at St Wilfrid's York, although in this
case I think it is caused by the bell being much longer-waisted than the
others rather than by being tucked up more.