[Bell Historians] William Wooding Starmer

David Bryant david at b...
Wed Mar 31 16:12:07 BST 2004

> A very interesting story, but which would you rather have - a 53 cwt old
> Whitechapel twelve, or a 54 cwt Gillett & Johnston twelve ? I know which
> would be my choice! Likewise, I can't believe that the old ring at Coventry
> could have, in any way, have been up to the tonal quality of the present
> bells there.

Having heard recordings of both, it seems that both were very good in different ways. The Gillett ring were indeed a tremendous loss. It's a shame they weren't removed for safety before the war, as a number of other city-centre rings were.

David
Freeserve AnyTime - HALF PRICE for the first 3 months - Save £7.50 a month
www.freeserve.com/anytime