[Bell Historians] Tower arch rope grooves

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Wed Mar 31 23:24:44 BST 2004

david at b... writes:

> >I was on an outing last Saturday &noticed something I'd never seen before.
> At two separate churches there were tremendous grooves cut deep into the
> stone either side of the top of the arch between the tower base and the nave (on
> the tower side).
> >They could only have been cut by bell ropes pulled very tight against the
> stonework, probably over a period of decades. I estimated three separated
> ropes might have been involved. The ropes obviously fell from the tower above but
> the ringers had clearly walked out into the nave pulling the ropes with
> them. WHY??
>
> Possibly they were just being swing-chimed.

I have likewise noticed grooves in arches. From more of a bell-hanging point
of view - I assumed they were made when raising and lowering bells - possibly
using a windlass or similar. We noted some grooves in the tower arch at
Gussage St Michael, Dorset recently - they proved to be in the right place when we
had to steer the bells around the font!

Matthew

Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers.