[Bell Historians] Coventry

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat May 1 22:58:42 BST 2004

I do hope Bill doesn't mean that I was being uncharitable to anyone. I was attempting to give an authoritative overview based on the given figures in the G&J tuning books and the Mears report. It enabled me also to respond quite authoritatively to a suggestion that Cyril Johnston had 'doctored' the figures.
AAH's readings show quite clearly that he did not.

I am looking forward to listening to Bill's results. This of course will be without the benefit of that tower. It would be interesting, and no doubt impossible, to attempt to replicate the sound as it emerged from the pre-1794 bell chamber (i.e. the upper tower louvres with the bells right behind them); then in the 1794-1807 two-tier arrangement and 1807-1885 (one tier) behind the second stage of louvres, one stage lower than before and one higher than at present. Of course, the tower did offer lots of help; and I am certain that the present truly marvellous sound owes much to it.

DLC

----- Original Message -----
From: Bill Hibbert
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, April 30, 2004 7:03 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Coventry

Very interesting analysis from David Cawley, I was looking at the
same information (including the report by AAH) but, having read the
whole transcript of the court case (and got it ready to put on the
web) I have a different and perhaps more charitable view of G&J's
objectivity.

Unfortunately, as my home phone and internet access will not be
restored until next Thursday (!!!!!) I cannot join fully in the
debate, not put up the 'recording' for all to listen to.

Bill H