[Bell Historians] Stay/slider arrangements

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun May 2 19:51:54 BST 2004

I suppose the commonest, if that is the word, are:

Standard (with variations on the theme)
Hastings - JT&Co
Jockey - G&J, as sort of 'fixed Hastings' type
Latchet 1 - Vertical stay, horizontal latchet pivotted below bearings
Latchet 2 - Horizonatal stay, hanging slider pivotted below bearings
Pendulum - Radlett type, Full length stay, L-shaped pendulum running on a standard runner board
Standard Pendulum type as on practically all post 1969 WBF very light rings
Rolling Pin - Central stay, slider free each end; checked by suspension chains (cf Weybread as it was) or double runner-boards - favoured by Moore, Holmes & Mackenzie.

But I suppose the list is endless!

DLC
----- Original Message -----
From: Alan J.Birney
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, May 02, 2004 7:45 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Stay/slider arrangements

How many different types of stay and slider set ups are there and
what are they called?
I am asking after seeing a type of slider yesterday that I had not
seen before at Long Marston, Yorkshire (bells hung dead in a ringing
frame).
The slider was about a foot long and the whole thing slides between
two long slots on either side of it- is this what is called a
shuttlebox slider?
I have a photo if anyone is interested.
Alan