Re: [Bell Historians]  You & Yours

Robert Lewis editor at r...
Fri May 7 12:50:28 BST 2004

Did anyone else hear the Radio 4 'You & Yours' item on bell listing
broadcast at 12.20 today?

Aside from the inevitable jokey reference in the introduction, I thought
it was fairly well produced and balanced. Interesting that EH specifically
denied any direct involvement with the listing revision process - bearing
in mind that Graham Pledger sits on the CCC Bells & Clocks Committee
(albeit, perhaps, without his EH hat on - but would he be there otherwise
one wonders?)

Paula Griffiths banged on about the listing being ADVISORY only ... I am
really surprised that CCC are pushing that one so hard, since it seems
patently clear that a great deal of weight is given to the fact that a bell
is listed in any decisions that are made about its future. How often are
listed bells boiled-up or tuned?

RAL