[Bell Historians] Stayless trebles

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu May 13 00:13:50 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dcawley at w...>
wrote:
> Of course, Taylor's overcame the problem with sprung steel stays on
some of their extremely light rings - Saxthorpe, Norfolk, being an
example.

> Re Seasalter - or as it is now known, St Alphege, Whitstable, the
fitting of 1" section deal stays was somewhat before Richard's time,
although he was most helpful in assisting when the bells were put in.
There were then only six bells and it was the front four which were
troublesome; the two largest had larger section stays. The first four
went within weeks, and I realised that we might be out of pocket. A
visit to the local timber merchant produced the suggestion that deal
was the thing, largely because it was cheap and it (usually) snapped
off straight across the stay socket (yes, on Whitechapel
headstocks). Hence my purchase of the material in quantity.
> It is no disgrace to say that our local band at the time had its
fair share of breakages. The heady days of eight-bell ringing were
still far off - we'd never even thought of it. I bought the trebles
in 8 in 1973 by which time local stay-breaking was confined to the
occasional learner...., and as Richard says, more frequently to the
visitor. Am I right in thinking that ringers these days have less
trouble with light rings than formerly ?

> DL:C

I was in now way implying that I thought of the idea of deal stays at
Whitstable/Seasalter (I still think of it as St Alphege New Church,
Seasalter!), merely reporting that this is what we used to do.

It does seem that light bells hold less fear for a good number of
ringers these days, than they did. however, I did hear a couple of
ringers complaining the other day that they found a certain 7 cwt six
far too light for their liking! Some people are never happy!