[Bell Historians] Stayless trebles

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Thu May 13 11:40:17 BST 2004

> With careful teaching there is no reason to break stays. If the
bells are
> not too deep set and the stays of quality ash they will take the
odd bump
> from a novice or a missed sally from an experienced ringer! If a
bell is
> very deep set or they stay spongy then I keep my learners off that
bell.

> Moan finished - thank you for reading.
> Andrew

Hear, hear! It always frightens me to see how some people are
taught and it's amazing that more people aren't hurt during the
process. I forty years of teaching learners, I've never had one
break a stay ...now if that isn't tempting providence, I don't know
what is!

On the subject of different stay materials, I remember, many years
ago, going up to look at the bells at Coltishall in Norfolk and
finding that the treble had been fitted with two pieces of bent angle-
iron in place of the stay. Given that the bells were on G & J
headstocks and the propensity to gudgeon failure this manufacturer's
stock have, it was a wonder there hadn't been a nasty accident!