[Bell Historians] Ash

Peter Whisker peter at w...
Thu May 13 14:15:28 BST 2004

Recently we got a local sawmills (a clearing in the forest in East Horsley,
Surrey - powered by the takeoff from a tractor!!) to provide some English
ash lengths. About £5 each for a 6' length of 4x4.

Some fettling at home with a circular saw and plane and you can get up to 2
small stays per length. Nice heavy, damp, springy ash. Probably not how one
should go about it, but they don't seem to break too easily - they bounce
back instead.

Peter Whisker
(Chertsey)

----- Original Message -----
From: "bellmaster" <andrew_higson at t...>
To: <bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2004 12:29 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Ash

> I had a similar problem when I was at university in Birmingham. Learners
at Edgabston carved through innumerable stays that we had bought locally. I
was allowed to try buying a stay from the trade - WBF, as it happened and,
hey presto, it didn't get broken again - at least not for the time I was
there, nor were any of the others that we subsequently replaced with
"proper" ash. Long term, the saving to that tower by paying more for a
better cut of wood outweighed the initial extra expense, especially as it
came in the post rather than having to chase around to a suitable(ish) wood
yard.

> Andrew

box-section steel stay, and the bell had to be be rehung on a new stock.
Bells have had the crown broken out by too strong a stay being fitted - e.g.
Bosbury, Herefordshire.

> I've tried stays with dowells, and found that they go too easily and, as
Andrew said, without warning.

> It's getting quite difficult to get good air-dried ash. The kiln dried
stuff is crap, especially for small socketed stays - a slight tap and over
it goes!

http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm

> Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

Service.