Ash stays

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Tue May 18 22:35:34 BST 2004

> understand Gillett's considered having the stay fitted centrally on
the
> headstock so that when the stay got clouted the force was spread
equally
> between the two gudgeons rather than all the strain put on the
gudgeon next
> to the stay. When was the first record of a stay being fitted and
where?

Well I thought it had a vaguely historical flavour - especially for
those of us who were reminiscing about stays as they were 30 years
ago!

According to Trevor Jennings' book, The Development of British Bell
Fittings, the first recorded stays seem to date from the second half
of the seventeenth century. He mentions an entry in the
Churchwarden's Accounts for Aston, dated 1678, Milton Abbas, 1666,
amongst others.

Moore, Holmes and MacKenzie fitted stays to the centre of their
somewhat unorthodox headstocks at the end of the nineteenth
century. The four at Surlingham, Norfolk used to be fitted thus
(anyone know if they still are?). These operated a rolling bar
under the centre of the bell, or, I believe, in some cases, a form of
pendulum slider was used instead of the bar.

Richard