Email names and addresses

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at s...
Wed May 19 16:30:26 BST 2004

The "From" header on any e-mail message has this format:
From: "bellmaster" <andrew_higson at t...>
The first part (which may or may not be wrapped in quote marks) is
the account-holder's chosen name, and may be changed at will via
settings in the email program. The second part (which is wrapped in
angle brackets) is the actual email address, and normally should not
be changed.

Most email programs will display only the name, without the address,
in a list of messages (such as the contents of an in-basket). Only
when displaying the headers of an individual message will the address
be visible in such a program. That difference can lead to the
situation which John encountered.

One option which Mr.Higson might exercise is to change the name in
his email settings to "Andrew Higson, Bellmaster". Another is to
look at the options his email program might offer for appending
various forms of signature. (I have ten different signatures, of
varying length and content, for use in different contexts. On this
message I chose to use none, because my personal name appears in the
>From header of all messages which I send.)

I've only used Andrew as an example--the same options may be
available to all subscribers to address the quite valid point which
John raised.

_____