RSJ Headstocks

Richard Offen richard.offen at o...
Sat May 22 17:46:48 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, David Bryant <david at b...>
wrote:
> > I'm not sure if Barwells did but Bond of Burford used them also
(Kington St
> > Michael, Wilts and Bremhill are two examples).
>
> I don't think Bawell's ever used RSJ headstocks - I expect CJP will
be able to say for definite.

> The only firms I know to have used RSJ headstocks are Bowell, Bond
and, more recently, Arthur Fidler. RSJ headstocks are hardly elegant!

> David

Elegant, no, but they worked extremely well (certainly Bowell's did)
and made very tough and reliable headstocks.

The only disadvantage was that there was no means of getting a staple
bolt through - a problem which Whitechapel (and, no doubt, others)
have overcome by welding a piece of flat steel on each side of the
web to strengthen the area to be drilled for a centre bolt.

at: http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/help/id/7098.htm