RSJ Headstocks & Barwells.

matthewhigby at a... matthewhigby at a...
Mon May 24 22:26:54 BST 2004

The other day I said:

I'm not sure if Barwells did but Bond of Burford used them also (Kington St

Michael, Wilts and Bremhill are two examples).
Matthew

Sorry, my mistake - I was tired at the time and wasn't thinking straight! I
meant to say that there were examples of RSJ headstocks at Kington St Michael
and Bremhill. I wasn't really sure who they were made by! Another example of
them (Bowell I am told) is at Leeds, Kent.
Anyway!
By pure coincidence - Charlotte went to visit her Gran today and was given a
postcard of (in her words - "some old bells with funny headstocks") by a
friend of her aunt, who knows that I "play" with bells.
Sure enough, she returned this evening with this superb post card, photo
taken in 1908, of the six bells and ringers of "Old Bradwell Church" - now part
of Milton Keynes I am told. The ringers names are also written on the back of
the card. They look like three very old bells and three new - if you zoom in
very close, you can just make out the word "Barwell" on the tenor. Best of
all - they have a set of RSJ headstocks, and very smart they look too!
I can post it if I am allowed. Are we enabled?
Cheers,
Matthew
Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,
Church Bell Engineers.