Cardinal Wolsey - did he provide bells?

Ken Webb kenwebb at r...
Wed May 26 20:37:35 BST 2004

The heavy & out of tune ring of 6 at Hilmarton are to be rehung in a new frame next year subject to funding & permission. Project includes tuning etc. Funding still required & target is Your Heritage Lottery Funding - project includes clock, pinnacles & access improvements.

The 4th was cast (Walters thought 1400-1450) by a Bristol founder with an English inscription: In the name of the trinite Lavrns bel cal me. The dedication of church is St Laurence. Walters in Church Bells of Wilts states: Said to have been given by Cardinal Wolsey (sic). I understand Cardinal Wolsey lived from about 1465/1475 to 1530.

Does anyone have any evidence that Cardinal Wolsey gave any bells anywhere? Where & when? Do the bells exist?

I know Sherborne Abbey tenor is reputed to be his gift of a bell from France (per CD & Raven etc).

Thanks

Ken