Smarden, Kent

Bill Hibbert bill at h...
Wed May 26 21:53:09 BST 2004

Richard:
> What a star you are Bill!

Flattery will get you everywhere. Here is a (highly speculative) set
of tuning figures for all six at Smarden, taken from Dickon's
recording. I've just looked at the map; it would have taken less
time to go there and get seperate recordings of each!

Tuning figures below are hum, prime, tierce, nominal, superquint,
octave nominal; first in Hz, then in cents. The tierce of the 4th
looks very flat but I have measured it twice.

Hz:
1) 300, 555, 690, 1161, 1718, 2368
2) 270, 512, 614, 1020, 1528, 2090
3) 242, 454, 556, 918, 1388, 1868
4) 219, 427, 498, 855, 1276, 1760
5) 197, 377, 451, 759, 1131, 1559
6) 170, 344, 404, 675, 1006, 1398

Cents (4th figure along is nominal tuning relative to tenor):
1) -2343, -1278, -901, 939, 678, 1234
2) -2301, -1193, -879, 715, 700, 1242
3) -2308, -1219, -868, 532, 716, 1230
4) -2358, -1202, -936, 409, 693, 1250
5) -2335, -1211, -901, 203, 691, 1246
6) -2387, -1167, -889, 0, 691, 1260

Verdict? Primes are impressive, hums OK, tierces wander a bit,
treble and third nominals are sharp, but overall I like the sound of
them on the recording.

I don't have a recording of Ranworth (though I have rung there
twice) but my recollection of them is that they are not as good as
these.

Bill H