impartiality?

Andrew Higson, Bellmaster andrew_higson at t...
Fri May 28 10:21:29 BST 2004

We were invited, as were most of the rest of the trade, to do an inspection on a set of bells this week. Nothing unusual there, except that there was a report on the bells which (carefully edited) read in part thus:

......I am not supposed to recommend certain people but I have been impressed with the work of (a particular bellhanging company).........

Mr X, Belfry advisor to the bellringers guild/association of diocese Y

Note - not the DAC bells advisor.

A phone call from E1 indicated that Alan Hughes was equally unimpressed (also editorially toned down!)

Does this not pull the carpet from under the DAC advisors somewhat and should he be able to nominate his preferred contractor in this way?

Andrew Higson
Bellmaster
John Taylor Bellfounders