[Bell Historians] Ellacombe

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sat May 29 20:10:48 BST 2004

I understand that it was given its present name after the Devon village of Ellacombe (now a suburb of Torquay). Reference to the Historical Companion to Hymn A & M sheds no further light. A pity that HTE is around to-day an on-line - he and the other great Campanists would no doubt know it all !

DLC
----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Childs
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 5:36 PM
Subject: [Bell Historians] Ellacombe

Hi everyone

the discussion of chimes and chiming machines lead me
to this subject.

I know Eastertide is drawing to a close and Easter
Sunday seems a long time ago, but does anyone know
why the hymn tune "Ellacombe" is thus called?

The tune is of German origin and first appeared in the
Wurtemburg Gesangbuch. I have often wondered if the
name had anything to do with Mr Ellacombe himself.

any ideas?

Michael

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor