Fw: [Bell Historians] Channel Island Bells

David Cawley dcawley at w...
Sun Nov 21 01:05:18 GMT 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

I should have added that the St Lawrence bell has been "pipped at the post"=
for being the oldest in Jersey. One of the former set of two from St Aubin=
-on-the-Hill, now preserved in Jersey Museum, was cast by J Bazin of Nantes=
in 1577. It is however very badly cracked, so the St Lawrence bell is the =
earliest in use.

DLC

----- Original Message -----=20
From: David Cawley=20
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com=20
Sent: Sunday, November 21, 2004 12:57 AM
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Channel Island Bells

They are still there. For the record:

St Lawrence: 38 1/2"; c10 1/2-cwt; G#; canons; hung on a balanced wooden he=
adstock with lever: frame, 2 transverse oak beams: by J Wallis, Salisbury:

+ CETTE CLOCHE EST POVR LA PAROISSE DE SANT LORANS A IARZE / Ao I592 I VV

Alderney, Old Church Residual Tower
2 bells, originally hung for ringing, fittings now poor. Canons on both. Us=
ed as ding-dong quarters and hour. 15" and 23" respectively.
=20
1. CLEMANT TOSIEAR CAST MEE IN 1701

2. D J VALLAT RECT L LE COCQ (2 fleurs-de-lis) J LE MESURIER PR (border) A=
EFECT T T LE COCQ AEDIT ANNO DOM 1760 (border)

The larger bell's founder I could not identiify; the smaller is by Clement=
Tosier of Salisbury.
=20
This contains some small variations from Tyssen's note, which Anne refers t=
o, and additional information to that contained in Sharpe.

DLC=20=20
----- Original Message -----=20