[Bell Historians] New poll

Andrew Bull andrew.bull at t...
Thu Sep 2 10:36:55 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

-----Original Message-----
From: CHRIS PICKFORD [mailto:c.j.pickford.t21 at b...]
Sent: 02 September 2004 14:52
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] New poll

Barry Pickup is right about Frome - though it's interesting that the bell
has since been weighed in the tower and found to be very close to 27-2-22.
But it wasn't the date Ron Dove visited, it was when the redoubtable James
H. Shepherd of Swindon - the great tower grabber and tenor measurer! - went
to Frome. A lot of Dove's earlier estimated weights came from JHS's
notebooks. Now, of course, so many more bells have been weighed in the
course of subsequent restoration. But we mustn't undervalue that initial
work by JHS and RHD that led to the first edition of "Dove" and still
underpins the work.

I believe the tower was High Ham in Somerset. I think that Frome had a full
restoration and retune, which was when the tenor was weighed.

Andrew Bull

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=1291qmle1/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
oups/S=1707285820:HM/EXP=1094191171/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
anion.yahoo.com> click here

:HM/A=2128215/rand=731491041>

_____

Yahoo! Groups Links

*	To visit your group on the web, go to:

*	To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

*	Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

This email originated externally and has been scanned by MessageLabs