Durham St Nicholas

David Bryant david at b...
Thu Sep 2 11:09:54 BST 2004

I rang at Durham St Nicholas yesterday evening, and had a brief look at the bells. The 4th is fitted with a locally-made steel headstock, but apart from that the frame and fittings have every appearance of being by Mallaby. Can anyone confirm this and provide the date? It would appear that the bells have since ben rehung on ball bearings and probably new gudgeons. Looks like Gillett bearings, but I could be wrong. Does anyone know?

Mallaby's work has become something of an interest of mine since Alan Birney and I have seen quite a bit of it while exploring the three-bell towers of North Yorkshire.

Whatever you Wanadoo:
http://www.wanadoo.co.uk/time/