[Bell Historians] New poll for bellhistorians

David Bryant david at b...
Thu Sep 2 13:46:53 BST 2004

> In the case of Taunton St James, I think the onus is on the locals
> provide a source for the 19-3-14. My betting is that there isn't one

Dove's source seems to have been the Walters MS. Given that Walters
gives no source, and that the MS is full of errors, I think it can
safely be treated as a mistake. It has been established that the
weight does not come from the churchwardens' accounts, or from either
bellfoundry (both of which have done work on the bells, but neither
of which have weighed the tenor).