Eddystone lighthouse

CHRIS PICKFORD c.j.pickford.t21 at b...
Sun Sep 5 02:57:20 BST 2004

charset="iso-8859-1"

David could be right, and I must admit that I hadn't considered the possibi=
lity that this might refer to the bells from the old (pre-1882) lighthouse.=
=20

However, I'm inclined to think that two things favour a link with the bells=
of 1881. First, the old lighthouse bells would have been lying around the=
foundry for 13 years if they survived until 1894. Second, the Croydon Town=
Hall bells weigh 97 cwt - so extra metal would have been needed even if bo=
th bells from Eddystone (83 cwt) were used in the cast

Would be interested to learn if anyone can provide further info

CJP