Plain Bearings

Richard Offen richard at s...
Wed Sep 22 17:50:14 BST 2004

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester" <mike at m...>
wrote:
> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "combineharvestersam"
> <combineharvestersam at h...> wrote:
> > Can you put cooking oil in plain bearings?
> >

> Of course you COULD - but it would surely flow straight out again
as
> it is much less viscous than the oils that are traditionally used.
> Might make things pong a bit if it is used oil!
>
> I gather that Chris Cooper has his own formula!
>
> Mike

Yes, but his formula involves having a portable BBQ up the tower to
render things down - probably dead pigeons, etc! If a Fire Officer
saw it they'd have a fit!

Castor oil is always a good one for plain bearings, but there are
probably modern, commercial lubricants that are far better, more
available and cheaper.

Castor oil used to be used as a laxative, so I guess it makes both
humans and bells 'go well'!