[Bell Historians] 'Bell weights' A mathematician responds

Peter Humphreys pfh at w...
Wed Sep 29 16:20:43 BST 2004

charset="us-ascii"

I am not a mathematician but I suspect the probabilities being quoted
are for any specified ring. If there were 500 million rings of six bells
then the probability would, I guess, be unity of one ring having all
bell weights ending in 0.

But the number of rings is only in the thousands so the probability must
be low. However, ANY combination of lbs has an equal chance of occurring
as any other, so one tower having all ending is zero is possible,
however seemingly unlikely. The same is true for numbers 1 to 7 being
the winning numbers in the National Lottery. I understand statistics
sufficiently not to waste my money on that! (Some just think I am rather
too careful with my money i.e. mean!)

However, it is prudent to suspect a high incidence of bell weights
ending in zero, especially if, over a large enough sample, this is
higher than about 1 in 28. Has anyone out there done such an analysis?