[Bell Historians] leather washers

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue Apr 12 09:37:39 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, matthewhigby at a... wrote:

richard at s...
> writes:
>
> Why bother to make them when you can buy them 'off the shelf' from
> Whitechapel (other bell hangers may well do them too) - they'll
even
> sell you tapered ones for odd struck bells on headstocks without
> twiddle pins!

> Because, like most things from WBF - they are very expensive! I
think they
> cost about £3.50 + VAT last time I asked.

> Matthew Higby & Co Ltd,
> Church Bell Engineers.
> Jasmine Cottage,
> The Street,
> Chilcompton,
> Bath,
> BA3 4HN.

I know I'll be accused of being biased, etc, but I would have said
that it was a small price to pay for a component that's going to last
and last and will help prevent clappers falling out at inconvenient
moments!

I'm sure similar washers can be purchased from other, non-bell
industry, suppliers - I'm not aware that WBF manufacture the flat
washers themselves (they certainly make the tappered ones).