[Bell Historians] leather washers

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Tue Apr 12 10:09:26 BST 2005

>If a bell is missing the leather washers, what, and how serious are the
>problems is it likely to cause?
>Is it known to crack bells, cause bearing/frame/tower problems?

Nothing that drastic, I shoulldn't think! There will be nothing to absorb
the vibration from bell, so it is likely to cause the nuts to undo
themselves and the like - as you have clearly noticed.

And as regards clapper bushes, it is a good idea to get them replaced if
there is much play in them. It isn't particularly expensive to have clappers
rebushed.