[Bell Historians] Steel bell dimensions versus bell metal

Alan J.Birney fartwell2000 at ...
Wed Apr 13 18:35:08 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Nick Bowden" <nickwbowden at f...>
wrote:

> "David Cawley" <dave at d...> wrote:
> > As to weights, here are a few which may be of interest.
> > Belmont (Chime) 1860
> > 45" 10.1.17
> >
> > Thornborough 1860/1
> > 45" 11.3.23
> >
> I have always wondered why these two tenors of the same size and note
> are so different in weight. Presumably the Thornborough bell has a
> thicker profile and more metal in places which do not affect the
pitch
> of the bell.
> Nick

What would like to know is I have now seen two sets of weights qouted
for the Tenor at Belmont: 10-3-3 and now 10-1-17.
Have Belmont been out of the towers since 1989 for rehanging?
I am just wondering which weight was the origonal qouted weight.
Up till 1989, no indication of them ever being rehung, but of course
they may have been rehung since 1989.
You should hear them rung (chimed) to changes- buckets is an
understatement.

Alan