[Bell Historians] Steel bells

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at ...
Fri Apr 15 12:52:06 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> Re Thornborough. Eayre & Smith rehung the bells in all new
fittings in a cast-iron frame. Before that they hung with the NV
fittings in a 4 bell frame adapted for 5. They were certainly shot-
blasted to remove rust & muck, then painted black with "Waxoyl";
they were not tuned; and as far as I remember they retain their
flange heads. So the original weight - as I say quoted from their
original legtters and invoice - can stand, unless anyone knows
better. It is a good job.

> I'm pretty sure the flange tops do remain - whether the original
weights are still accurate must depend to some extent on how much
the bells have rusted!

> I remember a very cold day several years ago when the Bassaleg
bells were sandblasted. We loaded them into the back of a lorry and
they were taken to a local garage. After being done, they were
loaded back into the lorry and brought back to the industrial unit
where they were stored. I have some photos somewhere of them
immediately after sandblasting - they are all a dull grey colour,
and not particularly corroded - much of the original surface
remains. By the time they were again loaded into a lorry and taken
to the museum in Sheffield where they now hang, they had regained a
patina of rust - it was only a week or two after sandblasting and
they were stored under cover, but it was February and very damp. The
museum did consider coating them with some solution to prevent them
rusting, but decided against it.

> I gather that when hung for ringing they were considered quite
good for steel bells, but when chimed in their present location they
sound absolutely foul!

> David

I rang on the old steel Bassaleg bells and thought they were one of
the best steel rings and the nearest to normal bells in sound. A
great tragedy that they ended up the way they did rather than being
rehung somewhere,