[Bell Historians] Steel bells

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Fri Apr 15 21:14:37 BST 2005

On the bells I've seen which appear to retain their original clapper
spring pads (or at least fragments thereof), the pads generally
appear to have been made of rubber reinforced with multiple layers of
coarse fabric. They are bent to fit the shape of the spring end and
are held in place with two rivets. The springs encounter the clapper
shank a few inches above the ball, and the pads wear down between the
rivets.

If your enquirer wishes to make replacement pads, any hard rubber or
leather material will do the job. The thickness of the pads should
be based on the spacing between clapper and spring - if they are too
thin, the springs may be ineffective. (They may be ineffective
anyway, if they are cracked at the top, or have become bent over the
course of a century's use. If so, they will need repair.)

The fact that the bell is steel is irrelevant - clapper springs were
supplied on both bronze and steel bells, in varying styles according
to the foundry. Some springs were supplied without pads, and forget
the noise and wear!

_____

_____

--