G&J carillon (Regal/Odeon, Marble Arch)

Carl S. Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Fri Apr 15 21:15:45 BST 2005

Unfortunately there seems to be no reliable information available
about the fate of this instrument. One report which I heard
third-hand said that the bells were destroyed in the Blitz; but since
the Christie 4/36 theatre organ survived until its eventual removal
in 1964, I think that unlikely. The tale of the bells going to
Belgium seems likewise to be no more than a rumor, because a recent
inventory of carillons in Belgium(*) has no mention of such bells.
(The G&J bells in the carillons of Louvain and Liege are contemporary
with the Marble Arch bells, though.) If the bells did go to Belgium,
then either they were broken up or they were redirected elsewhere and
haven't yet been rediscovered.

An American source for a recording of this organ and carillon is the
Organ Historical Society.

Carl

* Beiaarden en Torens in Belgiƫ, ed. Gilbert Huybens, Musea Nostra,
Gent, 1994, ISBN 90-5544-018-3