[Bell Historians] Re: G&J carillon (Regal/Odeon, Marble Arch)

Richard Offen richard at ...
Sun Apr 17 08:53:42 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Shaun Brown <shaun.d.brown at g...>
wrote:
> Found it!
>
> Here is the full specification for the organ, built be Hill, Norman
> and Beard under the Christie name. As of 1997, it was in storage, but
> not in good order.
>
> Usually, the fate of these organs, is, if they are historically
> significant (this one isn't), they go to the Theatre Organ Centre in
> Kent. If not, they get put into storage by the Theatre Organ Society,
> until a suitible venue, and funding to move and restore the instrument
> becomes avaliable.

Hmm! I'm not sure that many would agree with you over the historical
significance of this organ - at one stage it was the largest theatre
organ in Britain and was certainly the only one to ever contain a
carillon. The building was definitely not blitzed, but it closed on
24th March, 1964 and was subsequently demolished.

However, to bell related matters. I've found the following two web
pages cotaining pictures of the Regal carillon:

http://www.organrecitals.com/p/rma2.html

http://www.organrecitals.com/p/rma15.html

Richard