Bells in organs (Carillon stop)

Richard Offen richard at ...
Mon Apr 18 23:08:42 BST 2005

[I wouldn't mind betting that a good number, if not all, of Shaun
Brown's so-called carillon stops, are in fact tubular chimes, and if
not, then an electronic substitute. There were tubular chimes
("Glockenspiel") of which there was a short recording on the site to
which Richard directed us. The sound difference between these and the
true carillon, which I remain convinced is the only one of its kind
ever to have been built for and placed in an organ.]

David is absolutely right. I have sitting beside me here an entire
shelf of books on the organ in this country and the rest of the
world. I can find no reference to any other organ having a carillon
of traditional cast bronze bells.

Where the term "carillon" is employed by an organ builder, it usually
refers to a set of tubular bells, steel plates, or a mixture stop
usually containing three ranks of pipes sounding octave, third and
fifth intervals, with the third rank being kept fairly prominent (a
example of a mixture of this sort can be found on the choir manual of
the organ of Manchester Town Hall).

[As for it not being historically significant. Well, SB's remarks
frankly amaze me. Bah, Humbug, Sir. Here you have this marvellous
instrument with the only true installation - purpose cast and built
to produce the sounds which organ builders (even the bellfounding
one, T. C. Lewis) had sought to manufacture by the use of tubular
(etc) substitutes, and he says that it isn't historically
significant! Both the organ and the bell fraternity stand condemned
by the virtual loss of the instrument.]

Most theatre organs are considered historically significant these
days and, after a long period of being ignored by the classical organ
world, are being recognised for the extreme artistry of the pipe
voicing employed by Compton, Christie and Wurlitzer, to name but
three of the leading exponents.

But this still doesn't answer the question of where the carillon went
to from Marble Arch? I'm 99.9% certain it is NOT stored with the
rest of the instrument.

Richard