Bells in organs (Carillon stop)

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue Apr 19 09:15:50 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "jim phillips" <jim at p...>
wrote:
> Richard Offen wrote on 18/4/05
>
> >I'm 99.9% certain it is NOT stored with the
> >rest of the instrument.
>
> Well then Richard, where is the carillon and why are you 99.9%
certain it is
> not stored with the rest of the instrument? It seems inconceivable
that 32
> G&J bells can simply disappear without someone knowing where the
bells are
> now. Were they sold as scrap and broken up?

I woke up this morning with a vague recollection that there was some
correspondence in the Ringing World about this carillon in the mid-
60s, but don't think I'm going to have time in the next day or two to
get up into the loft and find the appropriate volumes (I think it
would have been around 1964/65/66) - is there anyone out there who
can get at their Ringing Worlds more easily? It's a shame that the
earlier RW indexes aren't on line.

I would have said that it was perfectly possible for the carillon to
have been sold for scrap - I can think of lots of bells that were
scrapped in the 1960s that simply shouldn't have been!