G&J carillon (Regal/Odeon Marble Arch)

Richard Offen richard at ...
Thu Apr 21 16:33:03 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, Shaun Brown
<shaun.d.brown at g...> wrote:
> Just to clarify, I'm not suggsting that the carilon is not of any
> significance, merely the organ. From the POV of the theatre
> organists' society, it is an ordinary theatre organ, with chimes.
It
> has the same effect as tubular bells or any other sort of bells.
> Sadly, organists don't generally appreciate the finer points of
G&J's
> superb sounding carilons.
>
> SDB

Sorry, I promise this is my last word on the subject, as I'm bored
with carillons that have disappeared off the face of the earth!

Ignoring the fact that this instrument contained a carillon of cast
bronze bells, I fail to see how the largest theatre organ built in
this country, and one that was considered by many to be the most
beautifully voiced, cannot be considered as 'significant'.

I know several theatre organists and all of them speak in reverent
tones about the Regal, Marble Arch instrument. I'm not sure that
any of the organists I know consider the few theatre organ
installations left in this country as "an ordinary theatre organ"!

Nuff said!