[Bell Historians] Stolen Bells

Anne Willis zen16073 at ...
Thu Apr 28 13:33:29 BST 2005

Going back in time there's at least two stories of Wiltshire towers stealing
another tower's bells. Calstone accused Bishops Cannings of so doing
(unlikely, given the size of Calstone's tower), and Poulshot and Little
Cheverell are said to have shared a peal of bells between them, again
unlikely, though I do wonder if Great and Little Cheverell have been muddled
here. There's also several tales of churchwardens stealing bells.

I know that Rye bells are said to have been stolen by the French, but do any
other areas have similar stories?

Anne