[Bell Historians] Fire Station bell from Salisbury

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at ...
Wed Aug 3 20:07:17 BST 2005

> This morning I called in the weekly "car-boot" sale held in Devizes
> Market Hall, and spotted a small bell (12 1/2" in diameter) complete
> with canons, the only inscription being "F.E.S. 1876". I passed the
> information on to David Godwin, who has since purchased it. Information
> he was given by the stall-holder, suggests that this bell came from a
> fire-station in Salisbury. David thinks the founder was probably
> William Blews, and hopes that photos he intends submitting, may help to
> confirm this.

CJP or I could no doubt confirm (or otherwise) that it is a Blews if we saw
a rubbing or photo of the inscription.

> All this leads me to ask whether it would be worthwhile searching
> archives for local authority contracts for the supply of bells such as
> this?

Yes indeed. But what a massive job it would be. Any volunteers?

C D