St Giles, Cathedral, Edinburgh

Richard Offen richard at ...
Fri Aug 12 11:11:23 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester" <mike at m...> wrote:
> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester" <mike at m...>
wrote:
> > Is this correct? I have no details of these bells in my chimes
list.

> Further surfing has confirmed this on the St Giles Cathedral website
>
> Does anyone have the weight(s)?
>

> Mike

It's not a carillon, it's a set of Whitechapel handbells. The organ
was built by Rieger in 1992 and the set of handbells was included as a
stop on the (if I remember correctly) great organ. They are 'hung
dead', sounded by means of pneumatic hammers and mounted at the top of
the organ, but not in view.

If I get a moment, I'll dive into the attic and find the copy of
Organists' Review containing a write up on the new organ, which gave
details of the handbells.

Richard