[Bell Historians] Wrought Iron

Anne Willis zen16073 at ...
Fri Aug 12 13:04:16 BST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Richard Offen
Sent: 12 August 2005 12:32
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Wrought Iron Clapper

I believe, at one stage (Nigel Taylor will no doubt correct me if I'm
wrong), that Whitechapel was buying the entire output from Blists Hill
Museum!

The foundry used to produce wrought iron, using the equipment and expertise
from Walmsley's Atlas Forge in Bolton, which SPAB claim was the last wrought
(i.e. puddled) iron works in the world. The puddling furnaces can no longer
be used, and the recycled stuff is used mainly by the restoration trade for
wrought iron railings and such things.

I have sent a letter to the RW on this article. Maybe it will appear
sometime.

Anne