[Bell Historians] Re: cymbelstern

Andrew Higson andrew_higson at ...
Fri Aug 12 15:04:54 BST 2005

John must have copied my idea - I used it at St George's Edgbaston.

Have you got over the wobbly-winded Towcester organ yet, Sam? I can't
help thinking they must have left some bits out of it when it was
transferred from Northampton.

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of combineharvestersam
Sent: 12 August 2005 14:21
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: cymbelstern

I did this once too but used "Toys R Us" bells.

John Pryer (the ex assistant organist at St. Chad's Birmingham)once
installed his home made cymbelstern in old St. Chad's organ without
telling David Saint (DOM). Saint's face was a picture when the bells
had their first outing, the congregation all turning round to see
where the sound was coming from.

Talking about organs, T.C. Lewis organ buider cast bells too and
apparently wrote a thesis on it. The back six at Fulney are his but
have since been tuned by Taylor's.

Aye

Sam

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Higson"
<andrew_higson at t...> wrote:
> I did one of these once. It comprised of the unused set of 4
sanctuary
> bells which were conveniently mounted on a stand. I put this on a
record
> player with a conveniently mounted bar hanging down to hit the
bells as
> they passed by. The whole lot was placed on top of the swell box
and the
> mains connected through a suitable relay to the draw stop. Can't
> remember if I set it to 33 1/3 or 45 rpm. 78 was too fast, though!
>
> Andrew

jingling,
> tinkling sound used as a background to organ pieces such as JS
Bach's
> choral prelude on In Dulci Jubilo)?"
>
> I am sure. Last year the ASCY had a service there to mark the 50th
> anniversary of the bells (we had a ringers' choir). Mark Jones
(ASCY
> ringer) made sure the cymbalstern had an outing when he played for
it.
> I'll ask him how new it is. The church is launching an appeal to
restore
> the organ. The ASCY incidentally is supporting a new appeal to
install a
> sharp 2nd.
>
> I think most modern cymbalsterns ring their bells with solenoids -
St