[Bell Historians] Diameters

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Sat Aug 13 00:06:23 BST 2005

At 19:16 +0100 2005/08/12, George Dawson wrote:
>I usually find that the inside and outside edges are very close together.
>GAD
>
>> Give the shape of a bell's lip, I'm not sure how you could measure it
>> on the inside! Edge of lip to edge of lip is the usual proceedure.

A lot depends on what profile and molding technique the bellfounder
used. I've seen bells with distinct inside and outside edges as
George indicates, but if it's an angular profile (German or
German/Hispanic) then the inner "edge" might be quite far from the
outer edge. On the other hand, some profiles have a continuous inner
curve such that there is no "inside edge" at all.

Diameter at the rim is a very useful measurement when comparing bells
from the same foundry, but not so useful when comparing bells from
different foundries. (The same holds true for weight.) Again it's
down to profiles.

A measurement that should be more consistent across founders and
profiles would be the interior diameter at the strikepoint of the
clapper. But that's not easy to measure reliably.

Ultimately, of course, to describe a bell completely one would need a
complete tracing of the exterior and interior profiles, together with
a complete audio analysis of all the measurable partial tones. I
imagine that this is the sort of thing that André Lehr and the
Eijsbouts foundry have done in order to be able to design by computer
an exact match to any existing set of bells. Perhaps other foundries
have done similar work, as well.

Lacking those tools, the rest of us make do with a few simple
measurements like diameters and weights (over which we quibble
endlessly :-)).

Carl