[Bell Historians] Diameters

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at ...
Tue Aug 16 13:03:34 BST 2005

> Another problem which can arise is measuring the diameter of a bell which
> has been skirted to sharpen its note. It is quite difficult to decided
> exactly where to measure.
>
> David

For what it's worth, my own practice with bells which have been skirted (or
"edged", or "rimmed", or "lipped", though I personally prefer the first
term) is to say 'circa' or 'approximately' so-many inches. This indeed can
be an estimate of the (approximate!) diameter that the bell would have been
before skirting.

C D