[Bell Historians] Latin translations

Anne Willis zen16073 at ...
Wed Aug 17 14:50:36 BST 2005

It's hardly unknown for inscriptions on bells to contain errors -
particularly as many earlier founders were illiterate or at best
semi-literate.

David

Can we really call them errors, given the flexibility of spelling until the
mid-19th century? And even beyond; Bradford ringers' accounts were
'axamined' in the first years of the 20th century.

I suspect, as in the example above, a lot of spelling is phonetic; certainly
that seems to be the case in churchwardens' accounts.

Something like 'Prayse the lord' may more attributable to the exchangeable
use of i and y than any phonetics.

Anne