Welding bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Tue Aug 30 23:28:46 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Mike Chester" <mike at m...> wrote:
> Sedgefield's c15th tenor (now retired) was cracked in 1968 and was
> subsequently welded - was this an early Soundweld job?
>
> Mike

Yes, it was - it was welded in either 1970 or 71, as was the second at
Snargate (in 1972). I'm not surprised Sedgefield tenor has been
retired, it sounded dreadful, even after welding! In those days you
had to wait a very long time whilst Soundweld did the work ...certainly
not the case these days!

Great Dunstan at Canterbury was welded in 1988, as was one of the clock
bells about ten years later. Dunstan originally had a huge wrought-
iron cast-in crown staple, the remains of which (there was so much of
it, it was impossible to drill it all out in 1981 without seriously
weakening the crown of the bell) were thought to be the cause of the
crack. Soundweld removed all remaining iron and welded the crown back
together. It is clear that the entire crown design has serious stress
problems, which, I guess, is why the bell has cracked again. However
is was felt that the crack was not of any imminent danger to the bell
and it certainly hasn't, so far, affected the superb tone of this
magnificent bell.

The third, fourth and tenor at Southfleet, Kent were welded by Barrimar
in 1926 and are still in use today.