[Bell Historians] welding bells

Richard Offen richard at ...
Wed Aug 31 22:07:24 BST 2005

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at h...> wrote:
> > 18th (and very early 19th) century Whitechapel bells have a very
great propensity for cracking.

> Are the staple roots square in section with the consequent likelihood
of cracking at the corners? Bilbie bells have horrible rectangular
roots deeply embedded in the crown - Several years ago, I assisted a
bellhanger in digging the large roots out of the crown of the Bilbie
11th at St Mary's in Taunton. Having seen these, I'm surprised that
crown cracks are not a frequent problem with Bilbie bells - it doesn't
seem to be a common problem, though.

> David

Yes, Dunstan also had a huge crown splitting square staple which, no
doubt, caused a million hairline fractures in the bell metal and
contributed to the present crack.