[Bell Historians] Baton Clavier

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at ...
Mon Dec 19 18:28:20 GMT 2005

At 15:19 +0000 05/12/19, George Dawson wrote:
>I'm sure CSZ will tell you that it is typical of American manufactured
>chimes!
>GAD

George is right! ;-) But Over Here we call them pumphandle
chimestands, not baton claviers (a term reserved for the type of
keyboard that is typical of carillons, whether English-made or
otherwise).

In fact, the chimestand pictured was manufactured by
Meneely/Watervliet for the 11-bell chime installed in Hopedale,
Mass., in 1910. You can find my page about it at
http://www.gcna.org/data/MAHOPEDL.HTM, and on that page is a link to
an full article about the church which contains the chime. That page
leads to another with much more information about the bells,
including a slightly distorted (and much smaller) version of the
photo which started this thread.

Thanks, Richard!

CSZ

P.S. The church article refers to "ropes", but as you can see from
the large version of the photo, the connections from the chimestand
to the bells are wooden rods. The round "faucet handles" at the
level of the music rack are to adjust the length of each connection;
that's primitive by modern standards, but quite effective.

One unusual aspect of this chime is that the swinging tenor is
situated within the main frame, as you can see. This arrangement was
used because the tower is very broad but low; normally a swinging
tenor is placed on top of the chime frame.