St John's Peterborough

jimhedgcock jameshedgcock at ...
Thu Dec 22 23:16:59 GMT 2005

The recasting date on Manchester Town Hall's ringing bells is 1937. I
have inspected and photographed these bells. Leicester has 12th. May
1937 on each bell. Winchester has 1937.
They were all cast for the coronation of Edward V111, who abdicated in
1936. Manchester's bells were certainly cast in 1936. The first peal on
Leicester's bells was rung on the day they are supposed to have been
cast according to their inscriptions. Peter Staniforth supplied this
information
All of them had Eward V111 removed from them. All of them are
Loughborough bells.
I would venture to suggest that they all may have been cast before the
abdication.
Others more learned than I would be able to confirm or disprove this.
In this week's RW it is reported what is commonly known, that Great
George of Liverpool was cast in 1940. The inscription on the bell reads
TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN THANKFULNESS FOR GREAT MERCIES RECEIVED AND IN
AFFECTIONATE REMEMBRANCE OF THE CITY OF LIVERPOOL WILLIAM BARON VESTEY
OF KINGSWOOD AND HIS WIFE EVELYN WITH SIR EDMUND HOYLE VESTEY BARONET
AND HIS WIFE ELLEN GAVE ME IN THE YEAR 1937 AND IN MEMORY OF KING
GEORGE V NAMED ME GREAT GEORGE.
Because of difficult access I have not inspected the inscription band
of this bell. On one side of the inscription band it says MAKE A JOYFUL
NOISE UNTO THE LORD ALL YE LANDS. There may be a date on the other
side in the inscription band. I doubt it, because on the waist on the
other side from the dedication detailed above, just above the lower
waist moulding wires, is JOHN TAYLOR & CO. FOUNDERS LOUGHBOROUGH.