[Bell Historians] Liverpool Great George.

David Bryant davidbryant at ...
Fri Dec 23 09:30:51 GMT 2005

>And was not something added to the inscripton (after casting) to the 11th
>at York Minster? I have a photograph of this bell on its side in the
>foundry. Maybe George knows the identity of the engraver who is in the
>picture replete with the tools of his trade?

Indeed it does - the inscription on the waist is incised. Can't remember
what it says but I have details at home - it's in Latin, from memory. None
of the other bells have anything incised. The inscriptions on the front 8
plus flat 6th are in gothic lettering, and the back four have South
Somercotes lettering. The extra treble, added in 1978/9, has Taylor's usual
Roman script. I'd be interested to see the photo - don't think I've come
across this one. Could you email it to me?